Friday, September 4, 2015

Standing Guard...

I'm still trying to improve my night photography techniques. I took this photo a couple of weeks ago at Popham Beach. As the season progresses the milkyway slowly moves west across the night sky. The lights of Portland show up on the right of this image, if I had been in this same spot earlier in the summer the milky way would've been more south and to the left, so directly over the ocean and I would not have picked up any lights, the lights reflecting off of the haze in the distance didn't help. All I would've had to do is move my camera position to the right so the milkyway would've still lined up with the life guard tower. That's the challenge with this type of photography, finding an area there is truely dark, in this day and age it's difficult but not impossible. Maybe next month I'll go further north and away from city lights.

1 comment:

Arija said...

Brilliant sky shot John!