Friday, October 30, 2015

Contributing to the Illusion.....

This photo was taken on top of Cadillac Mountain in Acadia National Park. I had never been to the top before despite being in Acadia a few times. I must say it was the least favorite part of my trip. In the past, just about every photo I’ve seen taken from the top of the mountain does not include people so it gives the feeling of solitude. Well, that’s far from reality. The top of the mountain has three or four parking lots and I actually had to drive around a bit to find a place to park, it was like being at the mall. After parking you discover there are hundreds of people milling about all over the place, far from the solitude you’d thought you’d encounter. This photo was taken at sunset so I’m sure at sunrise there would be less people, not everyone is an early bird. On the drive back down I pulled over at one point and walked a little way off the road and I found this spot which I had all to myself, so for a little while I could imagine I had the whole mountain to myself. You could also say I’m just as guilty as all the photographers before me by posting this photo, I’m contributing to the myth of peace and quiet on top of the mountain.